Saturday, March 30, 2013

Wisdom

"One looks back with appreciation to the brilliant teachers, but with gratitude to those who touched our human feelings. The curriculum is so much necessary raw material, but warmth is the vital element for the growing plant and for the soul of the child." -Author Unknown

 


Perhaps you remember with fondness a specific teacher that you had. I have a few that stand out in memory. My first would be my 1st Grade teacher Mrs. Read. She was simply amazing. I was in awe of her and the way that she loved us. The only lesson that stands out to me was the one in which I tried to copy the letter Z off of my neighbor's paper. Really??? I had to cheat when learning the alphabet. My momma knew I was going to need a lot of help! Nope, what stands out to me was her smile, warm hugs, her beyond amazing treasure box, and most simply her essence. She watered my heart every day as I sat in her classroom. I loved just soaking her in.

The second teacher that stands out in my memory would be my 2nd Grade reading tutor, Mrs. Bigalow. She was our pastor's wife and I would happily go to her house two afternoons a week to study phonics. I loved sitting at her kitchen table, eating a warm cookie or two, and practicing my word blends with her. Once again there isn't just one lesson that stands out but instead she does. She was warm, encouraging, safe, and made me feel smart. I loved going to Mrs. Bigalow's home.

The third teacher that comes to mind would have to be Coach Terrel. If you ever had Coach Terral you would know that he was famous for giving "The Lecture" every year. He seemed gruff but I knew better. He was a sweet guy, excellent teacher, wonderful coach, and really cared about his students excelling. Again,the only lesson I remember was that lecture, and it was awful, but what stands out was his compassion, spirit, and true zeal for his job. He loved teaching!

Another amazing teacher that stands out among the others would have to be my Senior Geometry teacher. I can remember his face clearly even if his name escapes me now. This man was inspiring! He gave so much to his students. My senior year he would give after school, free evening tutoring. Most of our Senior class would show up out in the back portables of our school, waiting to learn from our best teacher. He was patient, never tired of our endless questions and confusion, and always showed up happy to help us. Those study sessions filled with 20 to 30 kids, and Route 66 Sonic colas, stand out in my mind like yesterday. If he hadn't been so selfless I probably wouldn't have passed those upper level math courses, and would have been beyond confused in my college math classes. He was an unsung hero. In fact it wasn't long after that when I learned he had been terribly sick with cancer the entire time. People, that is what this thing called teaching is all about!

It's not about the great lesson plans, the cute message boards, apples on the desk, and summer breaks. It's about pouring your heart into the life of another human being. It's about inspiring and encouraging. It's about lifting a child or student up and telling them that they are valuable and have amazing things ahead of them. I hope that you will be the teacher that stands out in the memory of a student 30 years down the road. Be the one that gave them the confidence to soar.

No comments:

Post a Comment